Be sustainable in everything we do
The road to net-zero emission and true circularity
Proximus commits to reach net-zero greenhouse gas emissions across its whole value chain by 2040 and to be a truly circular company by 2030.Discover more about our environmental strategy
Enabling the transition to a greener society
The digitalization of society has the potential to enable both our customers and Belgium to reduce their CO₂ emissions and generate energy savings.Discover more about the potential of digital society towards the planet
Our green certifications and alliances
As a company our ambitions are bold. We rely on alliances to have greater impact and let certifications guide us towards further improvements.Discover our alliances & certifications
Contributing to the green transition
Proximus has a dual role to play in the fight against climate change. We reduce greenhouse gas emissions and move towards a circular economy, while also developing technology and solutions to empower consumers, businesses and organizations to limit their own footprint.
Our net-zero targets
By joining the European Green Digital Coalition in 2021, we committed ourselves to reach net-zero greenhouse gas emissions across our value chain by 2040. We also defined and aligned our environmental targets with the new Corporate Net-Zero Standard, launched by SBTi in October 2021, and developed an action plan to achieve these targets.
In August 2022, the SBTi validated our near-term and long-term greenhouse gas (GHG) emission reduction targets. Concretely, we commit to reach net-zero greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions across our entire value chain by 2040, from a 2020 base year, ten years ahead of the 2050 ambitions pursued by Belgium. This target means an effective reduction of at least 90% of all our emissions (direct and indirect) and the use of carbon removal technology for the remaining emissions (less than 10%).
We defined two stages in the achievement of our objectives:
- Reduce absolute scope 1 and 2 GHG emissions by 95% by 2030 (from a 2020 base year).
- Continue to source 100% renewable electricity annually.
- Reduce absolute scope 3 GHG emissions by 60% by 2030 (from a 2020 base year).
- Maintain a minimum of 95% absolute scope 1 and 2 GHG emission reductions from 2030 through 2040 (from a 2020 base year).
- Reduce absolute scope 3 GHG emissions by 90% by 2040 (from a 2020 base year). Reaching our net-zero target means we need to work on all three scopes. However, for a telco and ICT operator like Proximus, most of the work lies in reducing scope 3 emissions