Contributing to the UN Sustainable Development Goals
The Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) define global sustainable development priorities for 2030 and seek to mobilize governments, businesses and society at large around a common set of objectives and targets. As a telco & ICT operator, we have a role to play in contributing to these goals. However, not all 17 SDGs are directly relevant to our business.
We performed a more precise mapping of our business model and sustainability strategy to the SDGs with the goal of creating greater focus and clarity. We chose to focus on four key SDGs where we believe Proximus can have the greatest impact and bring the largest contribution: SDGs 8, 9, 12 and 13. We added SDG’s 4 “Quality education” and 5 “Gender equality”, for which we evaluate having a medium impact, but are essential in our strategy.
Goal 4: Ensure inclusive and equitable quality education and promote lifelong learning opportunities for all
- Proximus offers a wide range of training programs on our “learning@proximus” platform from classroom training to digital modules and e-books for employees to stay up to date with developments in their fields of expertise.
- For the Belgian workforce, we support up-skilling and re-skilling initiatives by partnering with organizations such as MolenGeek, School 19 and Technobel.
- We also support Bednet and ClassContact, two associations that allow children living with long-term illnesses to continue their education at home or in hospital.
Proximus respects equal remuneration for women and men.
- Proximus offers conditions that allow its employees to reconcile the different aspects of their professional and private lives during their different life phases.
- Proximus has a policy on diversity and equal rights which applies to all employees of Proximus Group. Diversity & Inclusion is also part of the Code of Conduct which is applicable to all employees and part of the mandatory training.
- Proximus has set itself the objective of being the most active company in the promotion of women in the digital world.
- Our Supplier Code of Conduct requires suppliers to respect and support the protection of the human rights of workers (including non-discrimination).
- Proximus stimulates female representation at the different levels of our company.
Goal 8: Promote sustained, inclusive and sustainable economic growth, full and productive employment and decent work for all
We are a major employer and as such, we contribute to the Belgian economic ecosystem. We create direct and indirect sustainable employment through, amongst others, the deployment and maintenance of our gigabit networks of the future. We support the development of new digital ecosystems and innovative solutions for the benefit of the Belgian economy.
Goal 9: Build resilient infrastructure, promote inclusive and sustainable industrialization and foster innovation
We build future-proof digital infrastructure and invest in the newest technologies, innovative platforms and solutions. Those are critical enablers of a digital economy and society, in which Belgium is still lagging. In addition, we support ecosystems to foster Belgium companies and innovation.
We have a clear ambition to become truly circular by 2030. To do so, we have set ourselves strict goals. When designing products, we take the full impact of their whole lifecycle into account. We minimize their adverse impacts on human health and the environment and maximize waste reduction and material recycling. We also impose strict standards throughout our supply chain. We enable our customers to reduce their environmental impact through, for example, our refurbished phone range and our Banx and MyFootprint applications that give customers insight into their ecological footprints.
Fighting climate change is integral to Proximus' strategy:
- Since 2019, Proximus has been sourcing only renewable electricity and is increasingly buying its electricity from local sources.
- In 2021, we joined the European Green Digital Coalition.
- In 2022, Proximus was the firstlarge company in Belgium and third telco worldwide to have its NetZero targets validated by the SBTi (overall target, near-term and long-term targets).
- By 2030, Proximus will have completely banned the use of fossil fuels forits vehicle fleet and buildings.
- Our ambition is to be net zero by 2040
We embed the highest ethical standards in all we do:
- We take necessary steps to comply with the General Data Protection Regulation (‘GDPR’) and e-Privacy Directive and applies strict policies to protect and secure customer personal data.
- We commit to conduct our activities and pursue our commercial objectives in accordance with the law and the highest ethical standards. This is translated in our Code of Conduct which applies to all Group employees.
- Our suppliers and business partners are asked to subscribe to our Supplier’s Code of Conduct. This code is based on the 10 principles of the United Nations Global Compact.